This is officially the first post I am writing from Salisbury, Wiltshire! I moved here last week as I am now working full-time for a local auction house until November (I am assisting their Departments of Asian Arts, European Ceramics and 20th c. Design). In a week, I have already learnt a lot about how to take photographs for auction catalogues and using Photoshop 10 to enhance the pictures... It is a great experience and I am looking forward to learn more!
Salisbury is a charming little town city (it has a huge cathedral, in fact) with a mismatch of architectural styles and many antiques and charity shops! I try to control myself not to spend all my free time buying new pieces for my Etsy shop, but it's quite hard!
![]() |
| The entrance to the Cathedral Close, Salisbury. Quite impressive, isn't it? |
For the first time today, I went to car boot sales held every first Sunday of the month at Salisbury Fire Station on Ashley Road. I was at first a bit disappointed by the size of the event (there must have been about 35-40 stalls) and the kind of articles on sale (mainly children' clothes and toys), until I noticed a table covered with ceramics and other more interesting items. I spent most of my money and time at this stall, and ended up with some very interesting pieces!
![]() |
| Car boot sales at Salisbury Fire Station (one side of it - there were more stalls on the other side of the road), Sunday 5th of August, 2012. |
Amongst the things I bought are a set of five Japanese pin dishes with blue and white decoration (mainly of bamboo trees and cherry blossoms) that I guess date from around the 1920s; a couple of Mason's dishes, one with flow blue decoration and the other, transferware; a small Chinese rice bowl with blue and white decoration on the outside (kids playing with butterflies), and a blue vase from Bolingey Pottery.... And all this for a fiver (including a small table and a chicken wire cabinet I will use for display)! Today was definitely a good day at the office :)
![]() |
| Today's purchases from Salisbury Fire Station car boot sales... And I got all this for £5!! |
These pieces will be available on my Etsy shop very soon! Keep checking it for updates :-)



No comments:
Post a Comment