Wednesday, February 08, 2012

New antique DIY project: repurposed cast iron bracket

I finally have access to the Internet again and I am now trading from the other side of Oxford!
To start this new era, I found an exciting antique DIY project:



I discovered this antique cast iron bracket hidden under a bed of ivy in my new garden. As soon as I saw it, I knew it would end up in my studio :)

Now that I have cleaned it, I have a couple of decisions to make:

- do I get rid of the original white paint (half gone), then leave it in rusty colour, or do I paint it again in white (or black)?

- (the fun part) what do I do with it? Here are some ideas:
  • use it as a bed ornament or headboard...? 

(image from European Antique Market blog)
(Image from Man_of  Steel on Flickr)




  • use it as a banquette arm (love this idea - but difficult as I don't have this kind of sofa):

(Image from Susan Burger Living Beautifully)


  • Make some kind of lamp out of it?

(Image from Under Spanish Moss blog)
  • or just sell it? :o)

I need your help to decide wisely! What do you think would be the best option? Do you have any other idea about how to repurpose it? Please let me know in the comments below :-)

3 comments:

Dollyvintage said...

What about putting a big clock at the end (train station-like clock?)?

Keri said...

Hi Ally! Thanks for following me on twitter (@womeninhistory) :-) You have a lovely blog & I'm going to check out your etsy shop next! The cast iron bracket in this post is really beautiful. I love the sofa-arm idea, too, but if you can't do that, maybe you could make some kind of shelf out of it? I subscribed to your blog so I can see what you decide!

Alexandra Domeracki said...

Dollyvintage: that's a good idea, thanks! I should look for one of these clocks indeed!

Keri: thank you for your lovely message! I'm glad I found your blog, I'm learning a lot about amazing women!
Making a shelf would look quite nice too... mmm hard to decide! I'll keep you posted ;-)

Post a Comment